History & Background

 

Northern College is one of the members of a partnership for theological education formed in 1984 and based at Luther King House, Manchester.

The Northern Congregational College was formed in 1958 through an amalgamation of the Lancashire Independent College and the Yorkshire United Independent College, both tracing their roots back to the 18th and 19th centuries.

In 1985, Northern College moved to its present site at what had previously been the Baptist College in Rusholme. In 2015, therefore, we are celebrating our Pearl (30th) Anniversary.

Northern College acts as a Resource Centre for Learning for the URC, and retains links with the Congregational Federation. The college is also the preferred place of training for students training for ministry within the Moravian Church.

Although we have these strong denominational links, Northern College is an independent charitable trust, with its own Board of Governors and officers.